Thursday 22 November 2012

Alphabet Soup- Illustrator



Firstly I used the font Helvetica Bold, this was a really simple letterform I could manipulate. It was also quite strong and as it had a heavy weight I could create shapes within it.
Once I had the letterform I went to the selection create outlines. This means the letterform was now a shape, and this meant I could alter it as if it was a shape.

I began by drawing simple lines over the A shape. These were 1mm thick or less.

I then grouped all of the lines and the selected the lines and the A.


After I had selected the two I used the pathfinder tool. On this tool I used the selection divide, which meant that the lines cut through the A and each other. This created segments and triangles almost like the shapes of a shattered mirror.
I then had to ungroup the lines and I began by dragging out certain segments.

I also then manipulated the segements further by deleting them, adding extra pieces and making them bigger or smaller. Also rotating them.
Final letterform A 


I repeated this process for every letterform until I had an entire font, 26 letterforms. I really liked the effect I had created and I do think that it looked shattered.


Final font
Shattered

I then printed out the final piece onto A1 matte paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment