Thursday 22 November 2012

End of Module Self-Evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code 
OUGD403               


 Module Title
DESIGN SKILLS


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME

Amy Hill

­­­
1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have learnt a lot more about designing my own font. I have gained more skills in illustrator, and this is evident in my illustrator typeface brief. I have also learnt about the use of type on its own, image on its own and type and image together.
As well as this I have learnt more about the print process. For my illustrator brief I have used a digital printing process and printed onto A1. In my message and delivery brief I have learnt about double- sided printing and printing a net- (for an envelope). Learning about the print process has also made me think more about the stock I use for my pieces.

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have tried to develop my use of a design sheet, A2 rather than using a sketchbook I am previously comfortable with. The use of a design sheet has meant I can lay down more ideas on a page and you can see a clear development. I have also tried to create a variety of ideas for each piece.
I would say I have used illustrator a lot in this module and I would say I have gained more skills on it and learnt new things.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think that I have created at least two new fonts from the beginning which I haven’t really done before, I can use this to keep creating my own fonts which I could use in my own work.
I also think I have tried to use different stocks and I will continue to experiment with this to try obtain the best finishes for my work.
I would also say all my pieces have a good concept and I think they all communicate this well. I will continue to make sure my pieces communicate what is intended.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I think that I need to improve the way I write copy and make sure it is effective as it could be, as well as communicating what I want to say clearly. I also think I need to push my comfort zones a little more as the piece I created in my mailshot was a simple A4 foldout, and I need to experiment with more innovative medias. I also think I need to keep working on making a set of solutions that work together but are as effective as each other, as I believe in my message and delivery research solutions I did not fulfil these requirements.



5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1.     I will experiment with a range of solutions from my initial ideas so that I will have a choice of finals, or ideas I can make into a final piece.
2.     I should continue to experiment with different stocks, to increase my knowledge and awareness of the variety out there to produce the best pieces.
3.     I need to continue to learn about digital print process, as this is the way a lot of work is produced, I should also try experiment with this.
4.     I should try to use more experimental resolutions, and I should research into this so that I can create more innovative designs.
5.     I will try to generate more ideas quicker and of a good quality to enable me to have more time on developing the final solution.



6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



x

Punctuality



x

Motivation



x

­­­­Commitment


x


Quantity of work produced

x



Quality of work produced


x


Contribution to the group

x



The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment