Tuesday 25 February 2014

Format and Layout Session (Jackson Rising Brief 1&2)


Jackson Rising Brief 1

(in 30 mins)

Create an A5 flyer for a exhibition called 'Jackson Rising'

I started by placing all the elements into the indesign document I then started to move things around the page. I found the title image hard to work with as it goes in towards the right, and so to balance it I aligned everything right. 

We also had to pick the font, I chose gill sans MT which is sans serif and goes with the sans serif type of all the images, as well as this I could use different weights and italics, in which I chose to use both.



I felt that after I had created a layout I liked, I felt that the flyer was missing a dimension it looked quite flat, and so with one of the 4 colours that we where allowed to use, I placed this just over half way across the page, in line with the cut of the image/title, (C and S). I felt that this really added to the design and I was happy with it.
I also placed on the curator details as I had forgotten them. 

This was my final design in 30 minutes, I was quite happy with what I had produced, and I was surprised at what I had created in half an hour.

It was selected to be looked at by the rest of the group 


After the group had discussed it, there was a couple of things that had been mentioned and so I changed them and I felt that the design was actually now complete.

  1. No Date
  2. Perhaps but the MoMA logo next to the NYU logo at the bottom of the page.



Jackson Rising Brief 2 

Create a concertina brochure
10x A5

(in 3 hours)

A brochure displaying the four artists work

And so I came up with this concertina the pages would fold out vertically, I hadn't thought about this kind of vertical concertina before the session and I felt the layout was interesting. As well as this we had to think about the way it works together when it folds out, and I hadn't thought about this aspect either and so I can now use this knowledge in my own work.

I followed a similar style to the flyer. The coloured column ran all the way down each side in line with the front cover. I broke the images/ photographs up by changing the way they looked and their position to show each artist was different, but to keep similarity I aligned the images up on the top/ right margin, and all of the pictures where a similar size, which also kept a continuity. 

I learned from the first task and checked all the details on the word document, that needed to be included.





No comments:

Post a Comment