Tuesday 29 October 2013

Study Task 6: Web Workshop 3

Explain the common and uncommon conventions of navigation 

Common

  • scrolling
  • search tool/bar
  • menu bar (top or left hand side)
  • homepage
  • dropdown menu
  • homebutton
  • logo
  • breadcrumbs (links to similar pages)
  • a template
  • social media links
  • motion graphics
  • sign up/in , login 
  • autoupdates
Uncommon
  • type to search
  • holding page
  • menu bar (bottom or right hand side)
  • landing page
  • eye tracker 
  • speech 
  • sound
  • 360' view
  • disappearing menu bar
  • scrolling instead of a menu
(How do you know a link is a link ? - it changes in some way, its a different colour (usually blue), its italic, its bold, its underlined)

We then had to try make a flow diagram/ sitemap for our own site that we are developing


The first diagram was chaotic and not what I expected there was a lot more I needed to think about, I also discovered I needed to really define my content in order to really do this properly, but any site map I draw I can adapt and therefore it might be easier for me in the design process.


On the second diagram I started with the home page more central so that I could go out and around , and it could all interlink, I think that this diagram is more organised but it still needs working on and so outside of the session I will continue to develop my site map.

We then took the websites that we had chosen and drew a grid on them. 
I noticed a lot of them had a symmetrical kind of grid, that contained different width columns vertically and horizontally.
Some of them had margins that corresponded to other margin on the page. 
And some of the grids where hard to see, and I think some of them where just outside of the grid.
I also noticed the four of the websites I had chosen all had a large image that went across the whole area of the site. Two of them also had the title across the top centre of the page and the other three where all top right.







(I drew on extra lines which indicated which columns where the same width)


No comments:

Post a Comment