Friday 1 November 2013

Web Session 2: Getting Started

Part 1-
List the information (content - initial research from previous session) you think you should be incorporated on the website you wish to design - This will not be your final design, although it will highlight similarities and gaps of knowledge. List pages and the content within those pages.  Keep it to 5 main pages


I began by drawing out some initial content, on thinking what it could be. But I already had a vague idea of what I wanted this content to be, but I just wanted to explore a broader range.



However I focussed back down on to the music side of Katy Perry, and I wrote out the 4 albums, which would each be a page. I then really began to think about the content of these pages. It was everything that an album entails; singles, artwork, producers, genre e.c.t

I then thought about the promotional side and the fact that a fan of Katy Perry would probably want to be able to buy the albums/ singles and any merchandise that was applicable.



The more I thought about it the more I began to add and I especially began to think about how my concept could work- visually with all of this information.



 I also wrote myself notes and things to consider as I was going through and one of the last things I wrote was- to consider using the same template for each album, and that way it will seem more organised and bring it together as a site.


Part 2-
We where then told to begin to sketch out our homepage...




In the time allocated I managed to draw three scamps. We then went around everyones work to give feedback, and I gained five pieces of feedback....




  1. Strong visual identity created using triangles. Looks striking and interesting
  2. Top right has the most potential and the best balance of negative space and information.
  3. I like the triangle affect it's modern and the style suits the audience.
  4. This is a difficult concept to work with. You are doing well to keep it legible. Keep going, but remember to keep it easy to navigate.
  5. Try not to simplify/ focus on one album as its meant to showcase Katy Perry. Try something maybe a little more minimal and image based, as it looks like it could be hard to navigate.
Response to the Feedback
  1. I was happy to hear this, it would of been even better to have had some advice or direction though, however it does back up opinion 3.
  2.  I also felt the same, it was the last one I drew and I will continue to go down this avenue and explore it more.
  3. Is the same as 1, except they have mentioned the target audience and that they think its applicable, which is an important thing.
  4. A good piece of advice, and they have said that I am going well, I just need to continue to develop
  5. I feel that this piece of feedback is different to the rest and they haven't really grasped that the new album is the way of rebranding the Katy Perry image, I don't know if this is a fault of my own or whether they didn't really look at it properly. Even though I do understand what they are trying to say. However I might try their advice on a more minimal layout.
I think the most important things to take from this feedback is...
  • BALANCE- negative space and content
  • NAVIGATION- keep it legible and easy to navigate
  • CONCEPT- a strong concept to keep experimenting with 

No comments:

Post a Comment