Friday 9 May 2014

An Introduction to... Lucid Dreaming Guide

I started with a guide to lucid dreaming this seemed the most logical as it would reaffirm what I knew and it was an introduction and acted as an introduction for myself. I began with the front cover, I had decided that I wanted the piece to be a landscape concertina I had not worked with this format before and I wanted the piece to open out, I wanted a long appearance almost floating upwards, and so I had separate spreads on inDesign to  help me do this as the pages always connect horizontally, I had to rotate my designs. 

The Front Cover is where I started I firstly placed my logo, and the science museum logo, I also typed out the title, I wanted the question to be leading and positive, I also wanted it to be clear that it was more scientific. 

When I was designing this piece this is when I selected the colour, it had been suggested to be to use a yellow and grey colour scheme, however when I practised this I felt that the yellow was inappropriate, too bright. 


I then tried purple, which is a colour I found to be used a lot within dreaming. However I felt that it was too dark and tonally similar to grey. 


I then opted for a teal colour, it worked well with the grey, white and the black. (I had also chosen to use Helvetica Bold for my headlines as they where louder and stood out.) 


I experimented with the layout of the front cover, I couldn't decide and so I moved onto the inside of the concertina. 


Inside I decided that the content should reflect the format and the aesthetic I had described earlier and this is whyI had smaller, longer columns of text starting with the longest on the right it acts as a lead to the other columns, I had used a grid but I didn't want any of the work I produced to be rigid and over intellectual looking I did want it to appeal to a wider audience too. 



Printing out the guide as a mockup helped me to see mistakes and it helped me to see how it read as I wasn't sure about the longer thiner columns. 







Front-


Back- 




No comments:

Post a Comment