Sunday 12 January 2014

Not Just Fleurons- Logo Development


I began by writing out different keywords in order to create a name for my terrarium shop, I wanted the name to encompass the idea of a container/ being contained and the idea of a garden. 
I tried out a few variations of the name that had the two ideas together. 


Eventually the I found the word orb, I wanted by terrarium to follow a uniform shape and I felt that this was a good word and gives the idea of circular, it also reminds me of glass, and a terrarium is glass. I then found the word botany, which is the study of plants , and so I thought firstly orb botany, but this looked strange, and I realised that I could combine the two word into one and they would have the same meaning, you would also say it the same as you would if they where separate words, and so orbotany was the name I decided upon.

I began by drawing out the word and I quickly came to one particular design. 


Then I refined this design, and I wanted the y to underline the subtitle- (which I had decided to add as I felt that the name could be confusing as it is a new word) it also really explains the brand. 

I then also drew the logo in a circle as the terrarium is circle. 


I began with a script font, but I felt that the fonts looked old. I also felt that the middle font, which looked most like my drawing, except when I digitised it I felt that it looked like the coca cola font ! and it was too similar. And so I decided to try a different font and I went for a sans serif that I had seen on a site previously. The typeface was quicksand and it came with a variety of fonts. I also felt that it was rounded and circular like. The font is also very simple and modern, as well as this the round nature of the font makes it almost seem friendly. 



After initially deciding upon the font and the layout of the name and the tagline- (which almost leads on from the bottom of the 'y' in orbotany.
I still felt it looked empty and spacious, there was no feeling of a container, and so I played with a range of circles I eventually came to the logo in the green and I really liked it, this is the logo I decided to use. 


The Final Logo

The logo is mainly type.The ‘o’ is central to the logo as it is almost circular it represents the shape of the container. The outside circle, reflects the terrarium, and the text is inside this to give the feeling of being contained. The tagline really explains the brand as it is unfamiliar and a mixture of words. It is also all the same colour which makes it really applicable , and it means it can change colour. But I wanted the logo to be mainly seen in this yellow-green , which is warm and inviting its also fresh and exciting, while still obviously representing plants and nature.




No comments:

Post a Comment