Monday 13 January 2014

Print Development


I decided to make a print book/glossary, this would be aimed at students studying at FE level or first year of HE, they could be any age/ gender as the book is aimed at the level of understanding and nothing else. 


So I set up the document in InDesign knowing already how I was going to print it, digital print, and add in  any extra/ other printing techniques. I had decided to do this due to the way I would bind. 


I set up a grid on InDesign,  it was 5 by 6 so that the spaces that where left where almost square and they followed the orientation of the page. I also chose to use a grid so that I would have a uniform style throughout the book. This would also mean that every page wasn't in a random place, and as I had chosen to do one book it would flow from page to page, and therefore be easier to understand.


I began by designing the front cover, I decided to design to make the design of the front cover typographical. Due to my concept of glossaries , I thought that this would be appropriate. 
I played with the ordering of the letters, I wanted the book to read 'print' as it was a book about print. I also chose to just use these letters for the whole cover, I think that this really emphasises the word. And so I had to distinguish the word print, I  chose to do this in orange, and my book would be black and orange. 
Orange is gender neutral , and the colour can signify fun and creativity. Its also warm and inviting. 










I came up with this as the final cover I felt that the word read well, and it was in the best font.


After the front cover I moved onto the first page


I had to play with the layout of the page and I knew I had to separate the elements on the page. I also added in a tab bar so that the sections of the book would be easy to distinguish, I had six sections relating to the sections we had previously looked at. 







I finally decided upon the layout below. I used the lines to split up the page it separates the main information from the content. This would also be the format of every page. The number of the section in the top left, is the biggest thing on the page, and this will indicate to the reader where about in the print process/ book they are. The the next most obvious thing is the title of the section, which I have separated from the sub heading, the subheading would also be different on each page but it is still a part of the heading and so I kept them close together. This difference is also indicated by the font, for the main information the font is bold and the subheading is thin and italic. 




I did feel that the top line was blurring into the tab and I thought that it didn't need to be all the way along and so I just made it long enough for the one. I think that this works better as it doesn't draw your eye to the tab, and it almost underlines/ makes the number one a title.



And so I began to add in the content, I would use very linear drawings nothing complicated, and the colours/ full colours would indicate certain elements and this would be easy for the audience to understand. 





CMYK dots illustration…
I used dots to really emphasise how the ink looks in the CMYK separations process. This I felt was more understandable to the beginner level audience. I used the actual letter to again make it really obvious which colour was which.








I then rotated the letters to show the screen angle.






I decided that I wanted my print book to be printed onto a range of stocks, I felt that this would make the book more tactile and the stock would give the thick book a bit of variation. I also knew that printing on a thiner stock would make the book less bulky, and it would be easier to fold and bind.


I had my book digitally printed, I had designed the book to have the correct amount of pages, (it had to be a multiple of four) I also left spaces where I could add in print experiments, e.g. foil and flocking.  



I screen printed the front cover, I played with black and orange, and orange and black. I used fluorescent ink as I thought that this would make the book more fun and inviting. I screen printed the word 'print' in black onto true grain and this plastic stock would protect the paper stock inside, as well as this it meant that the stock was almost transparent meaning that you could see the letters underneath. I used the letters in this style as I felt that it was appropriate to glossary concept I had decided to use for the book. I also think that it was more applicable as the book didn't really contain a lot of imagery, it was mainly type. Again fitting in with the idea of glossary and words. 


I stitch bound the book as I could use orange string which is slightly different to using staples, or black/white this could add an extra level of interest and it is attention to detail which is a focus of print. 


How the front cover opens and looks. 


As you can see all the stock varies as in the printing production we inserted the paper in a random order to give it a bit of variation. You can also see the tabs and how they work in the book. After printing and binding I realised I should of wrote the name of the tab on the first page as well as it was blank and this blocks off the name of the tab. 



Upon reflection, I think that my book works and it contains a lot of information about print and covers the main areas. However I do think that I was a little bit 'safe' with this book and I could of pushed it and myself further, if I had chosen a different bind I could of had a more professional finish to the print techniques I added later , e.g. foil and flocking. I also feel that I should of used more print techniques and at a larger quantity, but I feel that the mass amount of content made me stick to this heavily content style/book, and it almost confused me in my design process, as there was so much to consider. 

No comments:

Post a Comment