Thursday 20 March 2014

Cath Kidston Print Development

I began by drawing basic elements of a tea party- from my research. 
I drew different things in pencil and I then painted them with watercolours, I wanted to achieve the same effect that Cath Kidston prints have. 

I hadn't used watercolours in a long time, but I managed to paint the drawing reasonably well.  


I knew that I would be able to use photoshop to edit the drawings, and so I cut up the sheet I had drawn on and scanned in each drawing so that they could be edited individually. 

I drew around twelve separate elements, I felt that they where all needed to get the idea of the tea party, as well as this I drew a rose and leaves to help emphasise the idea of an english garden. 












 




Once I had scanned in all my images and edited them, I laid them out into a tile and then this could be repeated to make the pattern. 


Pattern...
I felt that the pattern worked well the tea cup was the central focus, but I think that the theme was recognisable. The print also looks busy enough to be fun but not too overcrowded and chaotic. 

I needed to add a background, a block colour didn't work as it was too digital against the painted illustrations. 



And so I simply painted a background, I wanted the strokes to show, I felt that this would give the pattern more texture, and green was the grass.



This was the final pattern. I was happy wight he result as I wasn't really confident in my watercolours in the first place, however with the use of photoshop I had managed to make them look coherent and brighter. I also felt that the background fit in with the theme and it almost portrays grass without actually looking like grass. I also felt that the colours fit in well with the English Heritage theme, and they are not girly, and they appeal to a young female audience.


The also specified three colour ways and so I had the first (original full colour) and then I wasn't too sure how I was going to change the colours, as the colours where an important part of the theme. 

However I used the layer options and changed the hue and saturation of the design this brought an interesting result. 

I chose firstly to go with a red rose colour, to relict the roses of the garden, however I felt that this particular hue was too red.


 This hue was too vibrant, and would not fit with the Cath Kidston brand. As well as this it would not appeal to the audience.


I finally went for this colour as I felt that it was a soft rose colours and it would appeal to the audience who aren't individual but aren't too safe either. Plus the warmth of the colour is approachable and friendly and this also suits the audience.


The other colour I chose was green, this against to represent the green of the garden. Green may appeal to the less girly demographic of the audience. It is also a different and may attract a new type of audience.




No comments:

Post a Comment