Thursday 27 March 2014

The Shining Poster Development

I started with a typographic like style, I like the infamous quote of the film and working with the point size and tracking of the words/ letters could create a piece that reflected Jack's insanity.










I then began playing around with the works and I started to turn them around ect.


This made me think of the maze in the film, I thought that it might look really effective if the words fit the maze. And so I got a picture of the maze and started to place the words in the maze. For each word I had to change the tracking and the point size so that it would fit in the maze.






I felt that this looked a bit chaotic and there was no sense in the order of the words, 


And so I tried to involve the work of the maze. 


But the green looked to dark it didn't stand out and so I added the red, which is a colour used a lot in The Shining.

I worked with different patterns leading around the words, 



I felt that it didn't lead enough and so I thought back to the actual scene , and int the snow scene both characters leave footprints, and so I thought that involving footprints would create a chase. 

I had big footprints which would represent jack and smaller ones which represented danny 



But again this looked chaotic... 


Making the footprints had made me think about Danny and the fact that he has 'the shining' makes him a key character and he is not regularly shown on the front cover, I also thought more into the shining and the physical form of the shining is Danny's finger. 


I also thought about how I could show the shining and I made lines coming out of the fingertip. 


I also added blood like the famous elevator scene pours out, I felt that this scene is the first thing the shining really shows Danny.




I added the title 'The Shining' in a font called fjallaone. It reminded me of type that is on films of that era, plus it worked well with the length of the shards of light I had drawn. 


I then worked on placing in that Stanley Kubrick had directed the film, I also thought about the wording. 








I found that this suited the poster the smaller font Avenir Next Condensed,which almost looks like a lighter version of fjallaone, its also again similar to film poster fonts.


I tried adding the blood effect to the type but this distracted from the illustration it also made the type harder to read.



Final Poster 


However I did change the wording as it made more sense.

I also mocked up the poster.




No comments:

Post a Comment