Friday 14 March 2014

Development of Research Publication: Inception (Dreams)


The start of the digital process I drew out the maze I had drawn that would act as my front cover. As reference to draw a maze I used an image from google. (top left) 

I drew the maze on illustrator.


The first maze I drew was unsolvable. I felt that this wasn't appropriate for the theme and so I changed it slightly, so that it actually could be solved.


I tried different sizes for the maze which will work together when the two books are placed together.



I set up the publication as spreads on indesign. And I placed the square in the middle of the page which would be the 'inner concertina'


Introduction page- double page spread.

I spilt up the word inception as if it had been intercepted/ broken up and this is the aesthetic I wanted to go for, not only for the type but the layout swell. I wanted to create a slightly mixed up layout that is slightly unusual and suggests something out of the ordinary, a bit surreal. 

The word inception is broken up in to how it is spoken. I also added some sub copy which stated what the word actually means. 

The font I chose for the type is Gotham, it is similar to the font on the Inception posters/ DVD. 




For the body copy I chose Helvetica light, as it was thin and tall looking, it compliments the Gotham font, and it is readable.


I tested different colour copy, and I decided upon a deep blue, which really suited the aesthetic and is opposite to the rich red.




Director Page
Which contains content that describes how and why Christopher Nolan made the film. For the title or indication to this on the page I wrote Nolan across the bottom in a similar size to the word inception on the first page.


(This image shows the grid I set up to use) From the margins, it is 4 columns and 8 rows.








Characters page
The names of the characters are almost like an acronym spelling, dreams pay which is the idea of inception/ extraction.







For the images around the main image in the publication I added a film grain effect to them I also added a blue overlay to keep a blue theme going through the book.

So you add a new layer


Change the colour to overlay and check fill with overlay-neutral colour.


Convert to smart object.


Add noise



I used a blue rectangle, with reduced opacity to add the blue tinge to the image.




After the Development Critique

I changed the quotes to be left aligned and so alongside this I changed quite a few of the bowes of copy , I widened the columns of the copy swell so that there is a longer line length which makes it more readable.

I also changed the top margin to 12.84mm, and the other three where 10mm.





For instance 
Before:


After:





No comments:

Post a Comment