Tuesday 18 March 2014

Tiger Print Black and White Pattern


My first idea was to use the letter of my first name to make a pattern I felt that a capital A might create an interesting pattern.

I chose a bold, sans serif font so that the pattern would be quite geometric and modern. Its also an abstraction of the letter 'A' which fits into the brief.

And so I chose Helvetica bold, as I like this typeface and I know it can be used.

I wrote out the letter...

Expanded it to a shape so that it wouldn't have an odd shaped box around it, and then I could drag it to size, rather than having to select a point size every time. So really it was now a shape.


I began to create the pattern...




I made the shapes so that there is a white square in the middle, this to be looks quite floral, as if the square is a stamen and the A's are petals. 


I then grouped this pattern and copied and pasted and moved into position to create a repeat pattern.






Final Pattern





I then moved onto J, which is the letter of a person close to me, James, and I tried to play around with the J to make it interesting, I didn't want to simply reflect it and place them together. 



Final Images/Patterns

I am happy with the finals, they are different as they are typographical, I think that they look modern, and to expand this I could do the whole alphabet, which is 26 prints ! Not only this but there is no gender bias in these patterns so men and women would respond to them. 



J is for James

A is for Amy

D is for Daisy

B is for Bridget



However after looking at the D, I felt that it was too block like and looked almost like a tablet and so I changed the print to…




I then mocked up my print designs onto a range of stationary, all the prints would work across the whole range of products shown, but to show off all four prints I decided to use different pieces for different products. I think that the effect is quite striking and I do feel confident using black and white, I also think that I have created something slightly different to the normal tigerprint aesthetic, as I have used type as image. And I think that this had really used my skills to their advantage and my design direction shows through in this work. Again I feel that mocking up this work to context really gave it an edge and it is a lot more striking than seeing the prints alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment