Thursday 3 April 2014

Cath Kidston Mockups


After the final Responsive module critique it was suggested that for this brief and other briefs I should mock my responses onto products so that the client can see how the response would work in context. 

And so for Cath Kidston I thought about what types of products maybe appropriate, I thought about what Cath Kidston sells, what types of surfaces patterns are applied to and what products would be appropriate to the audience. 

Firstly I started with a modern product, I felt that the design would look interesting on an iPhone case. I imagined that the audience would mostly all own a mobile phone and almost all would have a smart phone, and so this cover represents all of these categories. The print works well on a small product like this as its quite fun and busy. 


I also thought about other products that the audience would use, I thought that alongside a phone which they may use for organisation a notebook or diary would also be an item this particular audience would use regularly. And so I put the print onto a notebook, but not only would it work on this but it would work as part of a stationary set, and this could be sold in stores nationwide, I also think that this as a stationary set would work well as a gift set for people to buy for the audience specified.

I then looked at more traditional uses for print. I felt that display cushions are also an appropriate application for this print. I could imagine these cushions in a kitchen or a dining room, maybe somewhere you would drink tea ! They could even be transferred into garden furniture cushions and they would look really vibrant in the summer in the garden.


The next product was an obvious choice I felt that it was highly appropriate to have the design on a tea cup. This design would make for an interesting piece between friends, its a cup that you would use for guests, yet it is not too serious. To take this further the print could be transferred over crockery.


The last product I mocked was the original Cath Kidtston ironing board. I wanted to stay true and original to the brand, and so an ironing board cover an original product of the brand was appropriate. I also assumed that the audience would iron.




Overall I enjoyed mocking up my print onto different items and thinking about the vast range of products it would be appropriate for. I had also started to get the hang of mockups, and I was starting to produce more realistic looking products. I felt that putting the design into context like this really inspired me to think about what else would work, it also helped me think about other projects and how I could put them into context. Seeing the design in context also gave me confidence in what I had designed as I felt that it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment