Thursday 24 April 2014

Jackson Rising- Part 2 Brochure

The second part of the Jackson Rising Brief was to create a concern brochure, we had the rest of the day to do this. (until around 3pm)


Jackson Brief 2:
Background:
This text/image heavy layout will ask you to utilise body copy, title, date, and location, heading, sub heading, imagery, indexes, highlighted quotes. The amount of text allows for the use of imagery and the type to serve as the main visual elements.
Brief:
You are to layout and design a 10-page concertina folded brochure for a forth-coming exhibition titled ‘Jackson Rising’ at MoMA, New York. All images, copy and branding are included. You have to create a visually stimulating layout that showcases the artists’ imagery but does not sacrifice important information in this process. The images and information must flow harmoniously and offer a taste of what is to be expected during the exhibition. 
Branding elements must be kept to black and white. Images must be unaltered and in colour.
Considerations:
Headings, headlines, body copy, grid, type, colour, image sizing, bleed, margins, flow, audience, narrative, language, purpose, size, external print methods, preparing for print, stock, distribution.
Specifications:
Format: A5 x10 – Portrait – Concertina spread (front and back).
Title: Jackson Rising - Curated by Jenny Dowd
Dates: August 3, 2014 - August 31, 2014
Location: 11 W 53rd St, New York, NY 10019, United States

We where also given statements made by the artists, and images of their work,  we had to include these but we could edit how much we where going to put in or leave out.
Firstly I decided that my leaflet would open in a portrait orientation (downwards) I had decided this after being shown a few examples of concertinas previously, I thought that this orientation was interesting, as well as this I was currently working on my research publication which was also concertina but it read horizontally, and so I wanted to try this different layout. 
There where four artists, I wanted the brochure to be fair and so I dedicated two pages (so two A5 pages) to each one. 

Like my flyer I decided to keep the off white running though the brochure meeting the break in the type of the logo, except this time the ratio was more like 1:3 over 2:3 like the flyer. 
For the front cover, I used the same alignment as the flyer, so it would be coherent, I also remembered to added the dates of the exhibition ! From the front cover I like the way the copy was in a small column, I pushed this through to the rest of my design. 
All the artist images where in the same two sized boxes, one was a rectangle the other a square. I tried to make the work look interesting and I used different techniques to do this for each artist. Yet I still kept a clean layout, as I wanted the brochure to be professional and modern. I followed the margin of the brochure and this made a succinct linear feel, this was also helped by the strip of colour aids this, and it makes you want to read along the pages. 

For all of the type I used Gill Sans MT, in regular and bold (for headers) I felt that this font matched the font of the logo the best and they worked well together. I included all of the copy the artists had given as I felt that this was the fairest thing as a designer to do, this way the artist wouldn't be disappointed. 

I also had one page left, and so I made this into a content-like page, and so on this page I listed the all the artists, I arranged the artists names in alphabetical order, and I indented each name so that it would fill up equal space on the page.

Overall I was again really happy with what I had produced for this task, I didn't feel like I really needed to change anything and liked the layout I had produced, I also enjoyed working with the format and the orientation. I think that the brochure would be appropriate for the audience and I think the way I chose to showcase the artists work with different techniques adds a little bit more interest, it also shows off their work.




No comments:

Post a Comment