Thursday 24 April 2014

Jackson Rising Part 1- Flyer

The task for this day would be to see what we where capable of producing in one day. 
It was also to test our layout skills and inDesign skills. 

The first part of the task was to create a flyer.

The task was based upon an art exhibition named Jackson Rising. 

All the elements where given to us on a file, this included the logo. We where also given the type we needed to include. 

We where also told the specific/ strict colour scheme, which was black, white and off-white. 

We where told to set up an A5 document on inDesign and make a flyer for this exhibition, in  half an hour.

Here is my final flyer:


I had found the logo difficult to use, it had strange angles and it was unbalanced, however I made it the largest element on the page and centre as it is the most important thing. 
I liked the way the logo was broken up and I decided to play with the broken up lines within my layout.
And so I placed all of my information to the right-hand side of the poster, I did this as the logo becomes thiner at the right , whereas the left takes up more space. 

The copy and the curator information was placed above the logo this acted as an introduction, and I highlighted the curator details by making the type bold, this almost acts as a signature I felt that this was a second or third most important detail for the audience to know. 

I also split up the two logos, MoMa I placed at the top at this is the actual venue, and the NYU logo at the bottom as this was its sponsor.

The main element of this flyer though is the coloured box I added, this was in the off-white colour. I think it really draws your attention, more so than a black and white flyer. I worked along the break of the letters in the logo. It is also almost 2/3 of the way across from right to left, as to make the poster visually coherent the type was also right aligned, and so this made sense, as well as this the 2/3 to 1/3 ratio is almost the of the golden ratio and this is why I made the box the size it is. 

My poster was picked and shown to the rest of the group, this made me feel quite confident in what I had designed and I was happy at what I had produced in half an hour. 

The feedback it received was mainly good, 
I was told that I should put the logos together and make them smaller, and I did this later on, and it did look better everything was more orderly. 

Revised Flyer:



No comments:

Post a Comment