Thursday 17 April 2014

New Look

Firstly for the posters I wanted to name the department, I noticed that on the shop floor that a couple of signs said 'shoe heaven' I thought that I could use this name to name the department as it isn't played upon enough as well as this it is a positive message and I wanted the audience of the posters to feel positivity when reading the list of rules rather than a long negative/ boring list.

I picked a font that varied in weights, it also adjoined and was quite rounded it looked quite girly and fun and this is why I chose it, plus it was more of a header font, rather than body copy, I felt that it would stand out.

Font: RiotSquad
Source: http://www.dafont.com/riotsquad.font


I felt that the type wold look even better if it was like a logo almost branding the department I simply added a ver closed ellipses to look like a halo, I think that it emphasises all the connotations of heaven, and heavenly, it is quite positive. 


I then laid out the first poster, which would contain all of the rules (as decided by existing staff) I decided to sum up each point with a simple sentence/ subtitles and then underneath explain further what the point meant. I think that I did this quite successfully, and I felt that the points where easy to follow and to remember. I had created an easier way to follow all of the demands the shoe department has.

Each of the points where numbered, we decided upon 10 as 10 is a regular number to use for a list of rules, I also made each of the subtitles the same font as the title, I think that the font adds a bit of visual difference and they stand out more in case the poster is read really quickly these points would be the first seen, they are easy to absorb.

Everything is central as the logo I created is central, as well as this the copy fit the best in this alignment, it is easy to read from top to bottom. I also added a thank you message at the bottom to make it a bit more personal and friendly.


I then decided to create the other poster, which would explain/ show the idea of size ordering.

I chose a high heel to show this concept, I think I chose this style of shoe as it is clearly a shoe and it is style of shoe that is one of the most stocked in the store.

I drew the shoe by finding a photograph of a shoe, and then using my pen tool to draw around it, I wanted the shape to be pretty accurate as I wanted it to be really clear.

I went for a linear black an white style as I wanted it to look quite info graphical.



I then duplicated the shoe to look like a pair, shoes in the store are on the shelves in pairs. 

Shoes are also put out in set of eights on one shelf and so I showed eight pairs, I also drew the shelf, in the store shelves are rectangle , thick pieces of acrylic , this was perfect to draw for my illustrations and so I did. Again giving it a similar style to the shoe. 


I then put the shoes onto the shelf..



I also made a separate illustration where I numbered the shoes along so that I could show how it worked. I placed the numbers between the shoes and the shelf so it is like when you pick up the shoes and underneath them on the sole is the size, as well as this it connects everything well, shoes to shelf. 

On this poster I showed both illustrations, slightly like an instruction manual would, it showed the final piece smaller and the details of it larger, I also wrote a short explanation explaining the system, and the title is 'size ordering', with the logo I had designed above, almost like a branded training programme.



Final Poster...
I feel that it visualizes the process well, especially if a new member of staff didn’t have time to be shown or they had forgotten. 



The branded side gave me an idea for how I could further this project, what I could suggest. Not only could there be more illustrations in the range and maybe even an instruction manual, I thought I could push the idea even further.

I thought that all of this could go into an app which could be accessed on a smart phone or tablet. Staff would use their ID to log in and train, currently the system New Look uses is on the till and this can take up time, plus it is harder to update. An app could have all different modules on and could be updated when new service theories are brought in. It would all be secure with a login and would be accessible from anywhere. The store could have tablets in order to do this but as well as this tablets can be used for other purposes in store and so this is more resourceful. 

At first I made a very simple mockup 

By just using the information I already had but I don't think that this shows my idea very well. 



However upon reflection I decided that I needed to show the things I have mentioned above such as the login the manual and the training screen and so I have done that below...


I am happy with the original posters and the idea that I came up with which could further the training system, I think that if I had more time I would work mor upon the look of the items in the mock-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment