Thursday 3 April 2014

Oasis- Initial Poster Development

I began by placing the title and subtitle onto the fruit backgrounds that I had edited on photoshop. 

I had the idea that I wanted the type on the poster to be white, as the fruits where very vibrant and bright and I wanted the imagery to be a main focal point. 

I started by placing the type to the right, however I felt that it was a little bit plain looking and the copy didn't really seem to jump out. 


And so I changed the copy to italics. 


However I felt that the type became lost within the photograph behind. And so I changed the type to central alignment, and made the copy regular again as I felt the italic made no sense in the middle of the page.


Then I tried adding the Oasis logo to the poster, I placed this at the bottom as I felt it was less important than the initial message but bolder than the copy as it shows the company and the brand which draws the customers attention.


Just after creating this poster I began to do the same for the other eight messages, although I felt that something wasn't quite right on the posters, the type seemed to blur into the photographs and the copy was barely readable.



Some poster worked better than others, I would have to maybe edit the photographs again to get a usable effect but I did not want to compromise on the colour of the fruit. 
I also tried the idea of adding the fruit symbol to the poster which would refer to other materials that would show the customer what fruit / body shape they are.  


We had a crit and they also agreed that the poster where slightly unreadable and suggested maybe using the a fruit with a white background and coloured text. However I really liked the imagery of the fruit as I felt they where really strong as so we took their advice but used the white as a partial background.

Melissa suggested the idea below, suggesting that we should let the type act as a cut out rather than  a block colour. But again this is slightly confusing on the eye and it makes the outline of the letters look blurry almost pixelated. 




And so I thought that we should keep the white, but instead make the type a block colour similar to the fruit in the background. I tried making the white into the shape of the fruit (roughly) but now there was too much going on in the poster.


Finally I decided upon a white circle and this seemed to work best. I then focused back on the type which I had changed to a bolder font which made it more readable especially at a distance, as poster in store can vary in the distance they are from the reader. 

I began to experiment with the layout of the copy. 



three lines on this poster for this copy seemed more appropriate. And a centre justification just like the title.





I then added on the Oasis logo again, but this time the logo looked better at the top, plus was in a better place than it had previously been the hierarchy worked better, and with the logo at the top the message seemed more relevant to its context. As well as this I made all the copy including the logo the same colour, so for strawberries it was a soft red.





No comments:

Post a Comment